Monday, June 24, 2013

How I Came to Love the Doctor Who

"Well, let's see - you've got a time machine, I've got a gun.  What the hell.  Let's kill Hitler."
--Melody Pond, Doctor Who "Let's Kill Hitler"

I recently started watching Dr Who on streaming, and discovered what all the fuss has been about!  While the Star Trek franchise is losing its way in an attempt to make itself modern and gritty and militaristic, Doctor Who is showing us a view of science fiction that's still fairly optimistic.  And it's full of madcap fun - like the episode quoted above, where The Doctor and his time machine get hijacked by River Song to return to 1930's Berlin on the pretense that she wants to assassinate the Fuehrer.

Watching the first 6 or so seasons of the 2005 series, I'm constantly impressed by the epic scope of the show.  Worlds are threatened, all of time and space is frequently brought to the edge of extinction, and yet every season manages to break new ground and one-up the previous year.  There is absolutely nothing on American network TV that comes close in terms of writing and over the top style.  Go Brits go.

I mentioned the optimism built in to the show; humanity is just as venal and grasping as ever, but The Doctor never abandons his belief in reason and non violence and people's capability to do the right thing when it matters.  His refusal to pick up weapons and his commitment to solving problems through clever wits and diplomacy are refreshing against the rest of the field.  As an alien being encouraging humanity to strive for our better natures, The Doctor is practically a surrogate spiritual figure descended from above (albeit a humanistic rather than divine one).

I'm also seeing there's plenty of inspiration for gamers in how the series is structured.  Just about every episode features a new locale, with The Doctor and his crew rolling in just in time for the adventure - a perfect analog for your wandering characters in a sandbox RPG.  Many of the episodes feature horror themes - "The Lost Child", the weeping angels, the Silence, "The Waters of Mars".  I had a room full of kids sleeping on my bedroom floor (with the lights on) after they saw the one with the creepy gas mask kid, "Are you my Mommy?  Mommy?"  Since that debacle, I try to look ahead and make the two young ones skip the episodes that are obviously creepy.

And then there's the "Who Girls".  I'd have Amelia Pond's picture taped to my locker if I were like 13.  The Scottish accent is adorable.  My wife tells me the Doctor always has "fabulous hair", so I suppose there's something there for the ladies, too.

I've noticed that the show tends to lean a bit to the left.  When River Song is questioned by some Nazi soldiers, here's how she replies:  "Well, I was on my way to this gay Gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I suddenly thought, Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish. I think I'll kill the Fuehrer."  British TV seems to be a bit more progressive in general than American broadcast TV.

I'm most of the way through season 6, and I'll need to track down seasons 7 and 8 through re-runs if possible (since they don't seem to be on streaming yet).  Tell it to me straight - is there more good stuff on the way?

14 comments:

  1. I must confess I'm not a fan of Matt Smith's Doctor, although most of what you say can apply to most other Doctors as well. You should seek out the David Tennant episodes; you'll probably like his era as well; lots of Big Threats but still manages to keep things on a character-driven level.

    I'm an unapologetic fan of the older Doctor Who series, though. I started with Tom Baker, and to me he will always be The Doctor. There were somewhat less universe-ending threats and more planet-threatening villains, and of course the production values were much cheaper, but I still find them great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've seen the seasons with Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, and now Matt Smith. Matt Smith's been my favorite but Tennant really had a fantastic run.

      I imagine we'll crack a peek at the older ones when we're caught up... desperately wary that we've been spoiled by the big budgets and high production values of the modern Doctors.

      Delete
    2. For me, Tennant's run is the best so far of the revived series. This is especially true because the second greatest companion of them all, Donna Noble, is during his episodes.

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure the programme leans to the left so much as the UK in general is far more left wing than the States, and the programme reflects that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or was we like to put it - not as right wing as the US :-p

      Delete
  3. Series seven has not been as well regarded as the earlier series by most fans but I've enjoyed it. Even so, I'd say Matt Smith's first series -- between The Eleventh Hour and The Big Bang -- was the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also not a big fan of series seven, but the finale was pure AWESOMESAUCE!

      Delete
  4. Season 8's not 'til next fall, they just split up the airing of season 7 'cause... I dunno, reasons.

    I wasn't a big fan of it but Rory's dad was pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between the specials after Tennant's last full season and the split 7th season, we actually have two less seasons than we should right now! :(

      Delete
  5. That's an interesting pull quote to demonstrate the left-leaning aspects of the show, since every one of those is an accurate representation of people who were targeted for death camps in Nazi Germany: homosexuals, Gypsies, Jews, and the disabled. Each was chosen by that regime because of perceived deficiencies, whether of race or "degeneracy".

    Anyway, I've been going through the series from the beginning of the First Doctor (I'm currently, as I am typing this, watching a serial of the Third Doctor, "Doctor Who and the Silurians"), and I've been keeping up with the show as it airs on BBC America. As Star Trek and Star Wars continue to drive toward irrelevance, Doctor Who seems to be keeping itself at the top of the SF game. Certainly, the notorious "special" effects of early Doctor Who episodes are no worse, on the whole, than the styrofoam rocks of the original Star Trek episodes.

    So, to answer your question, there is no eighth season of the revived series as yet, so don't worry so much about that. The seventh season of the revived series is divided into two halves. The first half, in my opinion, is not nearly as good as the second half, and in fact falls short of the sixth season. It is still worth watching, but don't set your expectations too high. The second half, on the other hand, is a terrific return to form. I am looking forward to the fiftieth anniversary special in November and the Christmas special with bated breath.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched Tom Baker for years as a kid, but came back when a friend recommended the new series. He told me to pick it up with Matt Smith. I don't have anything against Tennant, but I didn't want to have to backtrack too far. New plotlines, Doctor, and companion(s) began with 11th hour, so it was a good starting point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're not going back to older series, break this rule to watch "Blink" (series 3 of the modern stuff).

      Delete
  7. It just keeps getting better and better. The most recent season has had a few rubbish episodes, but that's true of most seasons of the Doctor, all the way back to the beginning decades ago. The good more than makes up for the bad. Great, great show - and keeps getting greater.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes more fun on the way :)
    here in Italy 7th season is on the way (yesterday episode 7 and 8th) and we are having a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete